welcome to the new iphone-develoeprs community. Register below to get started.

XDA Users Click Here New Users Click Here
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Q] Creating SpringBoard Themes

Forum Administrator NotATreoFan's Avatar
    Device
    Touch 4G + Droid Charge

[Q] Creating SpringBoard Themes

So I decided that I wanted to create a custom World of Warcraft theme for my iDevice, and off I went to Google in search of the answers...

Unfortunately the search results were either unrelated to iOS, or they were years outdated and did not apply to the new structure/layout of iOS 4. Anyone here willing to create and share a nice tutorial on how to construct iOS 4 themes?

iPhone-Developers Forum Admin

Device
    Desire Z
    Well I'm still looking into that too But for the mean time, I've found a handy program called iDesigner, it pretty much tells you the size of each part of the OS, so that you can then make it in PS put it all into the program, then it will make the theme for you, although this won't work with retina devices or iPads
    Altough as soon as I find out I'll make a real good tut for everybody
    MacaronyMax

Its really not that hard, its been a while since i made one but to start download a complete theme that has everything you want in yours

(so you'll see how images are named and what's their size and location untill you get the hang of it then you can start making your own files. The themes are avaliable on modmyi.com)

Go to forums at the top then click skin and theme launches and find a theme *Make sure its made for your device not another one*

unrar the theme you just downloaded and start editing the images with photoshop. There might be a PSD file in some of them and that makes it alot easier to make your own icons/dock/wallpaper etc. Its basically a blank icon of what your trying to make. So Edit the PSD file with what your trying to make and then replace it with whatever was there before.

Once you have replaced any or all of the images with your own. Just SSH it into your iphone / itouch and your done! The SSH path is private/var/stash/themes just place your all of your themes in there.
    Watch some Photoshop tutorials on youtube before you try this so you will know what your doing. Later i will try to upload a blank theme and some psd files of what you can edit.
    Last edited by Austin021296; 11-24-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Forum Administrator NotATreoFan's Avatar
    Device
    Touch 4G + Droid Charge
    Thanks for the input. I've got a 4 day weekend coming up, so I plan to have something ready by next week.

iPhone-Developers Forum Admin

Device
    HTC Touch & iPhone 4
    Nice briefing, will give it a try on weekend..
    --
    Harry

iPhone 3Gs - White (16 GB, iOS 4.1)
    iPhone 4 (16GB, iOS 4.1 BB 02.10.04)

+ Reply to Thread