welcome to the new iphone-develoeprs community. Register below to get started.

XDA Users Click Here New Users Click Here
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help : IPhone 4 stuck in recovery mode

Help : IPhone 4 stuck in recovery mode

Hi guys,

I hope someone here can help me here. I have a Iphone 4, which i somehow managed to covert into paperweight. It is stuck in recovery mode (Itunes, USB cable screen) and nothing i tried, seem to help kick it out of it.

[Some History] : This is a Jailbroken IPhone on IOS 5.1.1(the mysterious second version which Apple released). I have also preserved the baseband since i am out of US. My toddler dropped the Iphone and shattered its screen. It was still working, but after sometime, there was no sound on the phone calls (everything else worked). So i was googling to find a solution, and one poster suggested reflashing to 5.1.1 and rejailbreaking might solve it for some. So i fired the latest redSn0w, created a NO_BB version of the 5.1.1, put the phone in pwaned dfu, and started Itunes 10.6.3.25 to download the firmware. Somewhere in the process, the IPhone went into recovery loop (USB Cable screen)

[Solutions Tried] : I again googled to try to find a solution to kick it out of recovery mode, since i just cant perform a recovery with official firmware as i need to preserve the baseband.

1. I tried holding the power+home screen for 20 seconds, releasing the power button etc. But as soon as i hit power + home, the phone turns on and goes to usb cable screen in 3-4 seconds.
    2. Tried iReb 4 to kick it out of recovery. It reboots but then back to usb screen.
    3. Tried Tinyumbrella, again reboots and goes back to usb screen.
    4. Tried Recboot, no effect.

I have effectively out of ideas now. Someone please suggest what should i try next and get the phone out of recovery loop.

Device
    iphone 4/4s
    Have you tried restoring with an earlier software version?
    Get your phone unlocked for the right price with no hassles.
    http://www.theunlocklab.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vinneyr View Post
    Have you tried restoring with an earlier software version?
    Well i can't restore without getting into pwnwed dfu mode since i need to preserve baseband. I can't get to pawned dfu without getting out of recovery loop.

Some Progress : I found this w w w.j b f a q . c o m /article.asp?id=60, and finally got the device out of recovery loop. Now it is in dfu mode (not redsn0w pawned dfu mode). Any suggestions to what i should do next (either to boot it into IOS or putting in pawned dfu mode).?

I tried the following suggestions from modmyi forums

Here are the steps to get out of DFU mode:

1. Hold down the "home" + "power" button simultaneously.
    2. After 12 seconds of holding, release the home button and continue to hold the power button until the apply logo screen comes on.
    3. pat yourself on the back.
    But as soon as i do this, the phone goes back to recovery loop.Sigh..

Device
    iphone 4/4s
    Since the phone is in recovery restore with a custom ipsw if that doesn't work restore like normal and get a factory unlock if needed but the custom restore should do it.
    Get your phone unlocked for the right price with no hassles.
    http://www.theunlocklab.com

Device
    iPhone
    to get out of recovery mode, the only way I have been successful with it, is with redsn0w, once in recovery mode, go to redsn0w and click recovery fix and then put in dfu and then it'll do it
    ByteForce - Smart Phone and Computer Repair
    Need help with jailbreaking/unlocking or hardware problems? PM me and I will always help you.
    Every like is appreciated.

redSn0w wasn't helpful. But with using jbfaq instructions and sn0wbreeze, i finally managed to reflash with the custom 5.1.1 firmware. Now it is booting back normally. Phew. One problem solved, now to second one where there is no sound on calls. I suspect a hardware issue (loose audio chip), and i have seen a workaround someone posted to get that fixed. I just replaced the IPhone screen, now had to tear the phone apart again.

The problem i posted in the thread is resolved though

If you IPhone recovery mode is stuck,you can try Next way to recover you iphone data,my fried show me this way.Are there any one have done it?

2 Recovery Modes Provided
    Recover directly from iPhone 4;Recover from iTunes Backup

Detail Use Guide From:
    Code:
    z0download.com/detail/iPhone-4-iTunes-Data-Recovery
    Last edited by taizongg; 01-10-2013 at 06:32 AM.

I too had the exact same issue and this is how I went about resolving it after being stuck with a bricked iphone for over 2 hours.
    For me, the most important part was my data - I didn't want the upgrade to trash my contacts, texts, photos, videos etc, so this is what I did:-

Got Total Saver from myphonedata.com - this software did wonders getting back all my contacts, images, photographs, videos, text messages etc from the backup which got created automatically by iTunes, a couple of minutes before the upgrade process started.
    Then, I had to setup my iPhone as a new iPhone (because I was no longer afraid of loosing my data - I already had it backed-up and recovered using the software above)
    After the iPhone was all set, I added the contacts, photos and videos back and synced my iPhone with iTunes

I hope this helps.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast