[Tutorial] Check 3GS old boot rom and Update to iOS 5 Untethered *OLD BOOT ROM ONLY*
This tutorial will show you how to check your boot rom on a 3GS and show you how to update to iOS5 untethered.
* * PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS FOR OLD BOOT ROM 3GS IPHONES * *
1st we need to check if your iPhone has the old boot rom as this only works untethered for them.
Step 1: Put your iPhone into DFU Mode (not recovery mode)
Connect your iPhone to your computer.
Turn iPhone off.
Hold Power and Home buttons together for 10 seconds or so.
Release Power button but keep holding the Home button until your computer recognizes a new USB device.
iTunes will now recognize your iPhone.
Note: Your iPhone screen at this time should be blank (black in colour), if not, then you are most likely in Recovery Mode, not DFU mode.
Step 2: Right Click on My Computer and click on: Properties -> Hardware (tab) -> Device Manager
Step 3: Select the “+” to open sub-menus tree items for "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller".
Step 4: Now look for "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver", right click and select Properties.
Step 5: Go to "Details" and find "Device Instance ID".
Step 6: Simply scroll through the string and you’ll find the boot ROM version (iBoot)
Step 7: If it’s 359.3, you have old boot ROM. If it’s 359.3.2 or anything above that, its a new boot ROM.
TO EXIT DFU MODE. PRESS AND HOLD THE POWER AND HOME BUTTON UNTIL THE BOOT LOGO APPEARS AND RELEASE BOTH BUTTONS. The phone will then boot normally.
Now if you have the old boot ROM then we can go ahead with an untethered iOS 5 Jailbreak. If you are on the new boot rom then there is only a tethered jailbreak at the moment.
BUT one more thing to check, is your baseband, if you require your phone to be unlocked to a different service provider (network) other than the one the phone is locked to.
* * NOTE: Ultrasn0w (available from Cydia after jailbreaking) will only unlock 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04, and 06.15.00 on the 3GS * *
Things you need for this:
iOS 5 Restore firmware (we need this to make a custom firmware from) - Download Here (This is my 3GS restore pack downloaded from apple)
Tiny Umbrella (to save your SHSH Blobs (apples firmware signatures) - Download Here
Sn0wbreeze-v2.8b8 for iOS 5 (to create the custom firmware) - Download Here
iTunes 10.5 (to install your custom firmware) - Download Here
* * IMPORTANT ** MAKE SURE YOU DO A BACK UP & SYNC OF ALL YOUR DATA WITH ITUNES BEFORE ANY FURTHER STEPS SO IT CAN BE RESTORED AFTER THE FIRMWARE IS UPDATED * *
1st we use TinyUmbrella to grab your shsh blobs and save them on your computer.
Start TinyUmbrella with your iPhone connected and on.
Highlight your phone on the left.
Click the 'Advanced' Tab in the box at the bottom.
Make sure all the boxes are ticked, EXCEPT the iphone4 base band
Click 'Save SHSH' and let it run.
Once complete you will see your saved SHSH that are now on your PC. Keep the program open we need that later, so just minimize.
Now to make the custom firmware:
1) Run Sn0wbreeze-v2.8b8 for iOS 5.
2) Click OK, then click the blue arrow at the bottom
3) Select the iOS 5 Restore file you downloaded
4) Select Old Boot Rom
5) Click the blue arrow at the bottom
6) Select 'Expert Mode' and press the blue arrow at the bottom
7) Select 'General' and press the blue arrow at the bottom
8) Tick 'Activate the iPhone - (Hacktivate)' and don't touch anything else and press the blue arrow at the bottom
9) It's up to you if you want to change any of the custom boot logo's or not have them on at all. Then press the blue arrow at the bottom
10) Skip this next section and press the blue arrow at the bottom
11) Select 'Build IPSW' and press the blue arrow at the bottom
12) Just choose the spinner, unless you want to play Pac-Man lol. Sit back and wait.
13) Finished and now the file your going to update you old boot 3GS with is on your desktop. Click ok and follow the instructions to put the phone into DFU Mode (also as described above)
14) Now re-open TinyUnbrella and click 'Start TSS Server'
15) Run iTunes and it will detect your phone and ask if you want to restore it
16) Hold down 'SHIFT' and click 'RESTORE'
17) Select the custom firmware from your desktop
18) Go make a brew and sit back for it to finish
19) Once the phone is set up then you can go to Cydia and search Ultrasn0w to unlock your phone to any network.
You can now reboot your phone at any time without it having to be tethered to your computer when the phone needs to reset after adding modifications
Last edited by Smokin House; 11-11-2011 at 11:05 PM.
would this work on an iPhone 3G?
Apple did not release an iOS 5 that is compatible with 3G. Sorry
First of all thanks, second, why do this?
"14) Now re-open TinyUnbrella and click 'Start TSS Server'"
The TSS server is used when you restore a custom firmware and it changes the host file (where itunes gets the signatures from) from apples to a local one so you can restore using your saved shsh blobs.
Originally Posted by Arcadis24
your site ias a very good
Im new to this!
Do you know how to do this exact same process for the NEW bootroom 3GS? or do I just do the same omitting parts?
The new boot rom is a tethered jailbreak at the moment so the above process is fine except for this part ===> "4) Select Old Boot Rom"
for you you will need to select 'New Boot Rom/I Don't Know'
The other thing you WILL NEED is iBooty for the 3GS (I've uploaded a copy for you to download below)
iBooty for 3GS
iBooty 3GS Download
You will need this every time your phone resets to reboot the phone to a usable state.
Last edited by Smokin House; 12-14-2011 at 05:40 PM.
thanks for this easy tutorial ..i have Q's this process will not update my basebad right ? and i will work on my iphone
my iphone is
3gs 4.1 06.15.00 unlock using simple mobile
Sn0wbreeze will never update your baseband. You have the iPad baseband anyway being you said you have 06.15. Remember this tutorial is for old boot roms to be an untethered jailbreak.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk