welcome to the new iphone-develoeprs community. Register below to get started.

XDA Users Click Here New Users Click Here
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlock iPhone 3GS BB 05.16.02 iOS 4.3.5 - no SHSH blobs

Unlock iPhone 3GS BB 05.16.02 iOS 4.3.5 - no SHSH blobs

Hi all,

Here are the facts:

- iPhone 3GS
    - BB 05.16.02
    - iOS 4.3.5
    - locked to O2
    - iPhone is not currently JailBroken but happy to do so.

I've done a fair bit of research and as far as I can tell it is impossible to unlock an iPhone with these settings without changing either the iOS (downgrade) or the BB (update)? However...

I have installed TinyUmbrella and I have no SHSH blobs saved which I think potentially rules out one or both of these options. Is there any solution still possible?

I am able to use either Windows 7 or Mac OSX Snow Leopard so instruct me to use whichever with whatever software necessary.

At this point I am crying inside! If this forum permits such things I will happily donate a fiver via PayPal to the person who I believe has made my new Vodafone SIM work in my iPhone, a tenner if it's within the hour (!) If this is forbidden then my undying thanks will have to suffice :P

Over to you guys, all help very much appreciated, thank you in advance!

*(posted simultaneously on MacRumors)

Device
    iPhone 4, 16GB, iOS 5.0.1 Factory Unlocked
    1st jailbreak it via redsn0w.
    2nd install iPad Baseband via redsn0w
    3rd instal ultrasn0w via cydia...
    HAPPY
    iPhone 4, FU Running iOS 5.0.1, Jailbroken UnTethered
    Apple iPad2, 3g,Wifi.32GB, iOS 5.0.1, Jailbroken
    My Forum.net

Hi Muskangul, many thanks for chipping in.

1. Which beta of redsn0w should I use? I previously used the latest 0.9.8b5 which didn't include the option to install iPad BB, without which it's useless.

2. *Does the previous beta, 0.9.8b4, still include that option and work with iOS 4.3.5? Is that as simple as checking the box during the redsn0w JB process?

3. Do the versions differ between Windows and Mac?

Cheers

*UPDATE: I just got up to the JailBreak installation point with 0.9.8b4 on OSX and didn't see a checkbox to install iPad BB. Is that a Windows only feature?
    Last edited by alienvariety; 08-13-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Going to extend the offer of dough: willing to pay 10 via PayPal to anyone who can talk me through this and get it working...

Solved:

UPDATE EDIT: This method will work to unlock and jailbreak, BUT will potentially affect your iPhone detrimentally in a few ways:

1. Jailbreaking invalidates your warrantee.
    2. You will lose GPS if you change to iPad baseband.
    3. Once you have changed to iPad baseband, it is CURRENTLY supposedly impossible to downgrade. (The Dev Team are working on this...)
    3. You may not be able to update using official firmware from Apple in the future.

HOWEVER: This tutorial is for the 3GS, which is now a relatively dated model, very soon to become even more outdated. I made these changes on my phone as I intend to get the iPhone 5/ 4S when it is released anyway - these were acceptable risks. Update according to your own situation.

--

Ok, guys, despite a lack of response, after about 10 hours of rigorous googling I have successfully unlocked my iPhone.

For all those who are interested, these two resources were essential:

- how to unlock 4.3.5 on 5.16.02 - JBQA
    - How to Unlock iPhone 3g & 3gS WITHOUT Wifi on 4.1 & 4.2/4.2.1 firmware - YouTube

The YouTube video helped me specifically because I was unable to log in to Cydia to download UltraSn0w as I had no WiFi connection on my iPhone.

You will need:

- TinyUmbrella (whatever the latest version is)
    - RedSn0w 0.9.6rc18 (NOT the latest version...) (IMPORTANT: if you are doing this on Windows you will need to be in Windows XP Compatibility Mode.)
    - iTunes (the latest version)
    - 4.1 Official Apple Firmware

You may need:

- DiskAid (if you have no WiFi like me)

Follow these steps:

1. Run TinyUmbrella and go to the Advanced Tab.
    2. Make sure "Set hosts to Cydia on exit" is UNCHECKED.
    3. Exit TinyUmbrella.
    4. Open iTunes.
    5. Put your phone in DFU recovery mode (Hold 'Power Off' and the 'Home' button simultaneously for 10 seconds, then let go of 'Power Off' but continue to hold 'Home' for another 20 seconds)
    7. iTunes should recognise an iPhone in recovery mode.
    6. Hold 'alt/option' and click Restore.
    7. Choose to restore from the 4.1 IPSW file referred to above.
    8. iTunes will act like it is restoring and then at the last minute encounter error 1015. This is exactly what we want.
    9. Open TinyUmbrella again.
    10. Click 'Exit Recovery'.

At this point, your iPhone now runs on 4.1 Firmware. Progress!

11. Open RedSn0w and click Browse.
    12. Select the same IPSW as previously (4.1). Click next.
    13. Choose to Install Cydia. DON'T opt to change baseband yet or it might crash!
    14. Click next. Go back in to DFU mode as described above. The RedSn0w page will automatically begin to update and inform you that it is installing. Your iPhone will display: "Downloading Jailbreak Data..."
    15. When this is done (your phone will eventually reboot), exit RedSn0w and turn your phone back off.
    16. Now open RedSn0w again. Click Browse.
    17. Choose 4.1 IPSW again. Click next.
    18. This time deselect Install Cydia and instead check the box to install iPad Baseband. IMPORTANT NOTE: you may lose GPS connectivity in your phone if you do this, but it is an essential step to unlocking your phone. Bite the bullet.
    19. Click next and return to DFU mode as before. RedSn0w will now show another little Pineapple image and begin installation of iPad Baseband.
    20. Your phone should restart and your good to quit RedSn0w.

At this point, your firmware is version 4.1 and your BB is 6.15.00! Now you just need a final step.

21. If you can connect to WiFi, open Cydia. If you can't, watch the YouTube video I linked above.
    22. Once in Cydia, select the Manage tab (along the bottom).
    23. Click Sources. Click Edit, then in the top left, Add.
    24. Type: repo666.ultrasn0w.com
    25. Click ok. Then in the top right click Install.

It will install UltraSn0w and should provide you with a message which confirms it is able to unlock your BB (6.15.00)

26. Restart your iPhone. (Do it twice to be on the safe side.)
    27. Put in your new SIM from your new carrier.
    28. Go to Settings and turn Airplane Mode off and on again.
    29. It will say 'Searching...' for a little while and then:
    30. SIM/ NETWORK ACTIVATED!

I hope this guide has helped you. It was such a time consuming nightmare for me that I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be such a trial for everyone else. GOOD LUCK!

ps. Yes, I'm afraid that means the offer of money is officially retracted :P
    pps. If in doubt, DFU mode and restore to 4.1 again and restart the process.
    Last edited by alienvariety; 08-18-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alienvariety View Post
    Ok, guys, despite a lack of response, after about 10 hours of rigorous googling I have successfully unlocked my iPhone.

For all those who are interested, these two resources were essential:

- how to unlock 4.3.5 on 5.16.02 - JBQA
    - How to Unlock iPhone 3g & 3gS WITHOUT Wifi on 4.1 & 4.2/4.2.1 firmware - YouTube

The YouTube video helped me specifically because I was unable to log in to Cydia to download UltraSn0w as I had no WiFi connection on my iPhone.

You will need:

- TinyUmbrella (whatever the latest version is)
    - RedSn0w 0.9.6rc18 (NOT the latest version...) (IMPORTANT: if you are doing this on Windows you will need to be in Windows XP Compatibility Mode.)
    - iTunes (the latest version)
    - 4.1 Official Apple Firmware

You may need:

- DiskAid (if you have no WiFi like me)

Follow these steps:

1. Run TinyUmbrella and go to the Advanced Tab.
    2. Make sure "Set hosts to Cydia on exit" is UNCHECKED.
    3. Exit TinyUmbrella.
    4. Open iTunes.
    5. Put your phone in DFU recovery mode (Hold 'Power Off' and the 'Home' button simultaneously for 10 seconds, then let go of 'Power Off' but continue to hold 'Home' for another 20 seconds)
    7. iTunes should recognise an iPhone in recovery mode.
    6. Hold 'alt/option' and click Restore.
    7. Choose to restore from the 4.1 IPSW file referred to above.
    8. iTunes will act like it is restoring and then at the last minute encounter error 1015. This is exactly what we want.
    9. Open TinyUmbrella again.
    10. Click 'Exit Recovery'.

At this point, your iPhone now runs on 4.1 Firmware. Progress!

11. Open RedSn0w and click Browse.
    12. Select the same IPSW as previously (4.1). Click next.
    13. Choose to Install Cydia. DON'T opt to change baseband yet or it might crash!
    14. Click next. Go back in to DFU mode as described above. The RedSn0w page will automatically begin to update and inform you that it is installing. Your iPhone will display: "Downloading Jailbreak Data..."
    15. When this is done (your phone will eventually reboot), exit RedSn0w and turn your phone back off.
    16. Now open RedSn0w again. Click Browse.
    17. Choose 4.1 IPSW again. Click next.
    18. This time deselect Install Cydia and instead check the box to install iPad Baseband. IMPORTANT NOTE: you may lose GPS connectivity in your phone if you do this, but it is an essential step to unlocking your phone. Bite the bullet.
    19. Click next and return to DFU mode as before. RedSn0w will now show another little Pineapple image and begin installation of iPad Baseband.
    20. Your phone should restart and your good to quit RedSn0w.

At this point, your firmware is version 4.1 and your BB is 6.15.00! Now you just need a final step.

21. If you can connect to WiFi, open Cydia. If you can't, watch the YouTube video I linked above.
    22. Once in Cydia, select the Manage tab (along the bottom).
    23. Click Sources. Click Edit, then in the top left, Add.
    24. Type: repo666.ultrasn0w.com
    25. Click ok. Then in the top right click Install.

It will install UltraSn0w and should provide you with a message which confirms it is able to unlock your BB (6.15.00)

26. Restart your iPhone. (Do it twice to be on the safe side.)
    27. Put in your new SIM from your new carrier.
    28. Go to Settings and turn Airplane Mode off and on again.
    29. It will say 'Searching...' for a little while and then:
    30. SIM/ NETWORK ACTIVATED!

I hope this guide has helped you. It was such a time consuming nightmare for me that I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be such a trial for everyone else. GOOD LUCK!

ps. Yes, I'm afraid that means the offer of money is officially retracted :P
    pps. If in doubt, DFU mode and restore to 4.1 again and restart the process.

I tried this multiple times, following your instructions to the letter.
    Unfortunately it doesn't get past the "Please wait..." command line prints (where the supposed jailbreaking is to work)

The process just stops there and i waited over an hour to see if it does anything different but it doesn't.

I have the same baseband and firmware as you. With no backed up SHSH blobs

By the way im not sure if it makes much different, but mine is locked to AT&T
    Last edited by XDS2010; 08-18-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: added: By the way im not sure if it makes much different, but mine is locked to AT&T

Try powering your iPhone down and continuing from step number 11. If that doesn't work, try restoring to 4.1 again and carrying on from there. It's a funny thing, but bizarrely trial and error does seem to work a bit when jailbreaking like this. I had a lot of trouble because by the time I started the method I described above I had already messed my phone around a lot, but a mixture of restores and phone and DFU restarts eventually worked. Some other people have had success with this method at the forums at MacRumors (it won't let me post the link). Maybe somebody over there could help out too if you continue to struggle. Best of luck anyway!

It should make no difference what you are unlocking from.

I should mention (and I am just about to edit the original solution post): jailbreaking and unlocking like this will potentially affect your iPhone detrimentally in a few ways:

3. Once you have changed to iPad baseband, it is CURRENTLY supposedly impossible to downgrade. (The Dev Team are working on this...)
    3. You may not be able to update using official firmware from Apple in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by alienvariety View Post
    Try powering your iPhone down and continuing from step number 11. If that doesn't work, try restoring to 4.1 again and carrying on from there. It's a funny thing, but bizarrely trial and error does seem to work a bit when jailbreaking like this. I had a lot of trouble because by the time I started the method I described above I had already messed my phone around a lot, but a mixture of restores and phone and DFU restarts eventually worked. Some other people have had success with this method at the forums at MacRumors (it won't let me post the link). Maybe somebody over there could help out too if you continue to struggle. Best of luck anyway!

It should make no difference what you are unlocking from.

I should mention (and I am just about to edit the original solution post): jailbreaking and unlocking like this will potentially affect your iPhone detrimentally in a few ways:

Yeah, no offense and thanks for the work but this method seems more trouble than its worth.

I will just wait until the few more months are up with my carrier and pay the extra 300-400$ this year to at&t. By then a method might be out or i can just request a unlock from them directly.

Thanks anyways tho.

I had that same "please wait" problem and noticed that I was getting that "No Successful Firmware Download 60000ms Error" too. I re-restored the 4.1 firmware and then it worked perfectly. I also had disabled all firewalls and antivirus software. After the second firmware restore, alienvariety's method worked like a champ. Smooth sailing.

itunes sto me at step 8 with error 20 and no 1015........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast