welcome to the new iphone-develoeprs community. Register below to get started.

XDA Users Click Here New Users Click Here
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iphone 4 stuck in Recovery Loop

Iphone 4 stuck in Recovery Loop

Hi guys,

got a bit of a problem on my hands, tried several things but nothing works so i am turning to you as my kind of almost last resort

Anyways, first off I got a locked Iphone 4 from Vodafone UK which hasnt been activated yet.

1. I jailbroke it a couple of days ago using limerain and installed cydia on it.
    2. The cydia icon disappeared
    3. couldnt find a solution to get it back, so i did a restore through itunes. asked me if i wanted to update to 4.3.2 (from 4.1), did that, thought it wouldnt be a problem because whilst restoring the jailbreak would be deleted anyways and i could rejailbreak
    4. turns out i was wrong, whilst updating it encountered an error and now itunes tells me i have an iphone in recovery mode and that i must restore it before it can be used in itunes. well i wish i could do that, but neither does it work when i just use the firmware apple got me to restore, nor does a custom firmware i downloaded work nor one i cooked myself with snowbreeze. it always fails because of an unknown error.

i always put the phone in pwned dfu mode before doing the restore. (i use ireb)

neither tinyumbrella nor recboot works in getting me out of recovery mode.

now the phone is in a permanent pnwed dfu state and it wont even turn on the screen (other than when im trying to do a restore)

do you have any ideas how i can restore the firmware without itunes giving me an error msg?

there is no way to completely wipe any data off the iphone and have a "fresh start" is there?

thanks for trying to help me guys getting pretty frustrated

Device
    iPhone 4, iPad 2, Samsung Galaxy Note
    open the hosts file with Notepad and delete the saurik server which is a line :

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

open the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and REMOVE the: 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

after doing this u begin restoring again and all will be good

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmood View Post
    open the hosts file with Notepad and delete the saurik server which is a line :

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

open the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and REMOVE the: 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

after doing this u begin restoring again and all will be good
    hi, thanks for the tip. already tried that before, unfortunately didnt work, getting the same unknown error bs

Can you post screen shots of the error. In the mean time, try to restart by pressing and holding home + power button for more than 10 seconds and if you get a screen with USB cable and itunes icon than you are good. you can use tiny umbrella to kick the device out of recovery then

it's the "The iphone "iphone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured. (6)" ive also seen different numbers. at the beginning i still had the usb cable itunes icon screen, now its in permanent pwned dfu limbo. already tried kickineng it out of recovery with tinyumbrella, it wont even recognize the device. it only recognized it once when i tried tethered boot mode with redsnow, but it couldnt kick it out of recovery then either.

thanks for trying to help me

picasaweb.google.com/117059889663078432432/24042011?authkey=Gv1sRgCMS4uIKvsMO9tAE#55990574863 01505042

pls add https (hope i dont get kicked out now, honestly only good intentions) :-)
    Last edited by LorPGDL; 04-26-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Device
    iPhone 4, iPad 2, Samsung Galaxy Note
    check below and apply all :

1- Update java and iTunes
    2- are u using iPhone in DFU mode ? DFU mode is black screen put to DFU mode not restore mode
    3- are u using the original cable
    4- remove the ipsw files u downloaded and download again

try these steps one by one see which one will help

1- did that, itunes was already up to date
    2- i can only use it in dfu mode, it wont go out of my pwned dfu
    3- never had it, got my ipod cable and thats working fine
    4- downloadinng as we speak- doubtful that it would change anything though :-(

alright, the fresh download of 4.3.2 did not change anything either unfortunately. anything else i could try? :-(

which version of itunes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast