welcome to the new iphone-develoeprs community. Register below to get started.

XDA Users Click Here New Users Click Here
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can the Otterbox Defender be installed over a stick- on screen protector?

Can the Otterbox Defender be installed over a stick- on screen protector?

I know the defender has a built in screen protector. However, my girlfriend elected to buy a cheap defender off ebay, so there's a 100% chance it's a knock-off. Therefore, I don't trust the case to keep out the grit.

I currently have an HTC Inspire. I've used a lot of different stick-on screen protectors with it and other smart phones over the years. My favorite screen protector I've ever used is actually a really cheap one from ebay. These don't have the orange peel effect you get with Zagg or Skinomi, but they don't scratch either. I've had the current protector on my phone for a year, and it still looks perfect. I bought a few (in case I botch the installation) from the same company for my girlfriend's new 4S.

It wouldn't allow me to post a link, so you can just search for "xtremeguard 4s" on ebay to see the product I'm discussing.

Do you think it will be problematic to install the defender over this screen protector? I'm concerned it might worsen the watermark effect or dim the retina display.

I don't think she's going to want me to take an exacto knife to her pretty pink otterbox, but that's exactly what I'd do if it were mine.

I will report back my findings after I do some experimenting (with baby powder and eye glass cleaner etc...) Her new case hasn't arrived yet, so it may be a few more days.
    Last edited by volumnus; 05-31-2012 at 02:20 AM.

No Go

I couldn't get it to work. I cut the otterbox plastic screen guard off with an exacto knife.

Device
    iPhone 4, AppleTV 2, new iPad
    Ya having two screen protectors is pointless as the iPhones touch screens are sensitive to temp that's why the screens don't work when you wear gloves.
    Make sure to follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or add us to your circles on Google+ to be the first to hear about breaking iPhone news, tips, hacks, and more!

Quote Originally Posted by volumnus View Post
    I couldn't get it to work. I cut the otterbox plastic screen guard off with an exacto knife.
    True, the quality of the screen guard is bad and therefore the beautiful screen of your smartphone deteriorates

Sent into orbit from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should give those cheap ebay screen guards I mentioned a try. I've used tons of different screen guards, and they're the best I've seen and for less than 2$ a piece!

Device
    I don't like them they scratch easily compared to the better high end product.
    Make sure to follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or add us to your circles on Google+ to be the first to hear about breaking iPhone news, tips, hacks, and more!

Why do you stretch them? They fit perfectly, and, once it's on, just leave it alone. I have used invisible shield and skinomi, and they aren't as clear and have an orange peel effect? What do you use?

Device
    I don't stretch anything I'm saying they scratch easily.

I've had one on mine for at least a year without a single scratch. To each his own I guess. They are made from a similar rubbery material as zagg and skinomi, but they aren't as bumpy or as sticky. Although I've never scratched mine, and I carry my phone in my pocket all day every day, I bought three for 6$ just in case I botched the installation. Should I get a scratch, I'll slap on another one.

+ Reply to Thread