welcome to the new iphone-develoeprs community. Register below to get started.

XDA Users Click Here New Users Click Here
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bought an iPod 3G that is stuck on the Connect to iTunes screen

Bought an iPod 3G that is stuck on the Connect to iTunes screen

Hello everyone,

I just bought a used iPod 3rd generation off of Craigslist. The seller did not bother telling me it was stuck on the "Connect to iTunes" screen. I use Android (actually came over here from xda devs) and haven't had a iPod or iTunes installed on my computer is a few years. To summarize without creating a wall of text:

- It's stuck on the Connect to iTunes screen whenever it boots up.
    - My only option is to turn it off by holding the power button down for a few seconds.
    - I installed a fresh copy of iTunes on my computer (Windows 7) in anticipation of fixing this issue.
    - When it is plugged into my computer, my computer does NOT recognize there is a new device connected.
    - To test whether or not the USB cable/USB port was live, I had my friend plug in his iPhone 4S using the same cable and USB port. His iPhone 4S was detected immediately.
    - I keep hearing about DFU mode. I have attempted several times to enter this mode and restore the iPod but am unable to. I'm assuming this will not work any way since the iPod is not being detected by the computer.
    - I feel like I am stuck since it is not recognized at all by my computer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue aside from going to the Apple Store (I disklike that place)?

Device
    iPhone 4, AppleTV 2, new iPad
    Well either you need a new dock or a new home button if you can't enter dfu. I think it'll likely be a dock issue.
    Make sure to follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or add us to your circles on Google+ to be the first to hear about breaking iPhone news, tips, hacks, and more!

Device
    iPhone 4 & 3GS iOS 6.1.3 Old Boot fully untethered
    Are you sure you are puttint it into DFU mode correctly?

Try using iReb from iH8sn0w. That's a program that guides you into DFU mode. If that does not work then maybe a new dock or home button clicker is needed.

What do you guys mean by a new "dock?" I'm not using any sort of dock.

The home button does respond to clicks. For example, when the device's screen is off, the home button will will wake it up.

Device
    The 'dock' is where the charger/data transfer cable plugs in.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin House View Post
    The 'dock' is where the charger/data transfer cable plugs in.
    Oh that makes sense. Is there any way I can test the dock prior to making a call on replacing it?

Device
    Quote Originally Posted by zilla. View Post
    Oh that makes sense. Is there any way I can test the dock prior to making a call on replacing it?
    Not all problems are obvious but a little harder to evaluate with yours being it is in 'connect to itunes' mode. They are not very expensive on ebay (I paid 4 for an iphone 4 one ) and quite easy to replace with the correct instructions

+ Reply to Thread