welcome to the new iphone-develoeprs community. Register below to get started.

XDA Users Click Here New Users Click Here
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jennifur

Thread: Speed up your iPod Touch 4th Generation

Device
    iPod Touch 5th Gen

Lightbulb Speed up your iPod Touch 4th Generation

As you may or may not know the iPod Touch 4th Generation is starting to show it's age. This can be seen by it not getting iOS 7 like it's iPhone counterpart. This doesn't mean all is lost though, you can get a bit more out of it by following this guide.

One: iCleaner Pro

iCleaner Pro is the iOS equivalent of CCleaner. It removes junk files, and un-needed languages, launch daemons, and other things to free up space and make sure you're device is running smoothly.

1) Download iCleaner Pro in Cydia, it's free. The Pro just means it is for power users and people who know what they are doing.
    2) Open up iCleaner Pro and hit the "plus" button on the bottom of the screen. This brings up the extra section of the app.
    3) Scroll down to "Languages to remove" and tap it. Select every language you want to remove except your native language and Japanese. This is important. If you do select your native language it will also remove the keyboard for it. Double check you have everything selected. Tap the back button after you are done.
    4) Tap on the "Languages" option just above. At the bottom it will ask if you want to "Clean" "Analyze" or "Cancel". Tap on "Clean". This will remove all the languages except for those you selected to keep. It will take a while the first time it is ran as it is searching though everything on the device. After it is done an advert will pop up and just tap on the "x" on the top left. The advert will close and it will tell you how many files it found and the total size it freed. Tap on "OK" and it will bring you back to the main screen.
    5) Repeat this for "Keyboards" and "Voice control languages"
    6) Even further down you will find options to remove various images. By default the ones needed for your device is greyed out, and the option for non-retina images has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it. This means that they can be deleted but some old apps may not work after. Go though starting at the bottom and work your way up, tapping on the image assets you want to remove. If you like the app icons to appear on iTunes for your apps do not tap the iTunesArtwork files option. When you get to the "non-retina images" option you can either keep them or delete them. Personally I have not had an issue with removing them and your results may vary. The worst thing that will happen is that you will need to reinstall the app so it does not hurt to remove non-retina images.

Two: Launch Daemons
    I put this as it's own separate part since it involves tweaking how the device functions and this will have a lot of explaining of what the various daemons do.

1) While still in iCleaner Pro, scroll all the way to the top and tap on "Launch daemons"
    2) Take a quick look though and you'll see that a lot of stuff is here. These are daemons, they are things that iOS runs in the background. Some things you do not need running, some you want, and others depends on your preferences.

We can start disabling the following:
    Safe daemons
    Developer daemons
    OTA update daemons
    Custom vibrations daemon
    AdminLite daemon
    Internet tethering daemon
    Data migration daemon

The rest depend on how your device is setup and what you use. I also have the following disabled on my device:
    AssistiveTouch daemon
    AirPrint daemon
    Chinese WLAN networks daemon
    VPN daemon
    Weibo daemon

After you are done with the daemons tap "apply" and it will ask you to reboot the device. Tap on yes and the device will reboot and the daemons you turned off will no longer run.

Three: iCleaner Pro cleaning.
    Doing the following once a week will keep your device in tip-top shape and help with "jailbreak creep".

1) Open iCleaner Pro
    2) If you use iMessage a lot and want to save even more space, tap the "smart" option next to "Message attachments" this will remove pictures from the iMessage database that no longer apply to a message.
    3) Tap "clean" at the top right and wait. This will take a while especially your first time.
    4) An advert may pop up after, tap on the "x" if it does and it will tell you how any files it deleted and the amount of space it freed up. Tap on "OK" or wait 10 seconds and it will respring the device to finish cleaning.
    5) You will also want to follow sections 2, 3, 4, and 6 of part one of the guide.

Four: Rebooting automatically
    This is actually recommended by Apple and many other people to help with problems and keep the device in tip-top shape. Since we are jailbroken we can do this automatically at night when it is otherwise charging.

1) Open up Cydia
    2) Search for Activator and install it. It will need you to respring after.
    3) Tap on the Activator icon on the Springboard, or go into Settings -> Activator
    4) At the top you will see an option called "Anywhere" tap on it.
    5) On the top right tap on "Edit"
    6) Scroll down the list of events until you see "Scheduled". It should be at the very bottom. Tap on it.
    7) Select every day of the week by taping on it. A check mark will appear on the right side.
    8) Set the time you want the reboot to happen. Any time when it is charging and you are asleep is good. I set mine for 00:30.
    9) When you are done tap on "Save" then tap on "Done"
    10) Scroll down to our created event. It will be the third option under "Power" in the section called "Scheduled"
    11) Tap the search bar and type without quotes "Reboot". Only one option will appear and this is the one we want. Tap on Reboot and then tap on "Anywhere" on the top left. The device will not reboot automatically for you once a day at the time you set.

These sections below are not for the faint of heart nor is it for people who cannot follow instructions. This involves deleting of system files and editing of system plists which if you are not careful will cause you to have to restore. This guide uses iFile so if you do not have it buy it. It is not too expensive and is one of the "must have" apps for jailbroken devices.

Five: The MobilePhone app.
    This app runs on all devices and is useless on the iPod Touch. Removing this will free up roughly 10MB of ram and about 5MB of storage. Note: I have gotten at least on report of removing this will disable facetime and/or iMessage. It didn't on my device, but may on others. You can also apply part six of the guide if you don't want to delete it.

1) Open up iFile and tap the top left button until it disappears. It should be about 2 times.
    2) Tap on the "Applications" folder.
    3) Scroll down until you can see the "MobilePhone" folder.
    4) Tap "Edit" on the top right.
    5) Tap on the "MobilePhone" folder and then tap on the icon second from the left at the bottom. It looks like the winzip icon. Then tap on "Create" This will create a backup in case you need it.
    6) Tap on "MobilePhone" again and tap on the trash icon. It is the third one from the left on the bottom. Tap on "Move File to Trash".
    7) Tap on the trash icon again and tap on the "Empty Trash" option. This permanently deletes the app from the device.
    8) Tap on "Done" on the top right.
    9) Exit out of iFile and reboot or respring the device.

Six: UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend
    This key is magical. It will force an application to suspend instead of running in the background. This helps us have extra ram, but like all things. It does have a price. Setting this key on an application will disable push notifications. It is a trade-off. Ram or notifications. I will show you how to use this key and let you decide on what applications you want to use it for. Personally I use it on FaceBook and MobileMail since they always run and take up a lot of ram and I don't care about notifications from them.

1) Open up iFile and tap on the home button on the bottom. It is a picture of a house and is the second from last icon on the right.
    2) Tap on Applications.

If you just see a long string of seemingly random numbers and letters you need to turn on Application Names. Tap on the gear icon on the bottom left. It is the first icon. Tap on "File Manager" then turn on "Application Names". When you are done, tap on "Done" on the top right.

3) Scroll down until you see the application you want to force suspend. I will use Facebook for an example.
    4) Tap on the Facebook folder
    5) Tap on the Facebook.app folder
    6) Scroll down until you see the Info.plist file. This is the one we want to add the key to.
    7) Tap on Info.plist and tap on "Property List Viewer"
    8) Tap the "plus sign" on the bottom right. This will bring up the "Add Item" screen.
    9) Type in without quotes "UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend" where it says "Name".
    10) Change the Type from "String" to "Boolean" by tapping on Type and selecting the first option.
    11) Tap on "Create" on the top right.
    12) Change the newly created "UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend" from "OFF" to "ON".
    13) Tap on "Done" on the top right.
    14) Exit out of iFile and restart the application you edited. It now will suspend when you click on the home button but will stay in the tray of recently used applications.

Seven: GPU power switch
    This is a frequently debated thing and some say it works while others say is a placebo. Either way it will not harm your device. It will either do nothing like some say, or make things run smoother like others will say.

1) Open up iFile and tap the top left button until it disappears. It should be about 2 times.
    2) Navigate to: System -> Library -> CoreServices -> powerd.bundle
    3) Tap on "com.apple.SystemPowerProfileDefaults.plist" and open it in "Property List Viewer"
    4) Tap on "DefaultProfileChoices" and take note what number "Battery Power" is using. It was "1" on my device but may vary.
    5) Tap the button on the top left that says "com.apple..."
    6) Tap on SystemProfileDefaults".
    7) Tap on the option with the same number you noted in step three. In my case I tap on "1:".
    8) Tap on the "Battery Power" option.
    9) Tap on "GPUSwitch and delete the current number and replace it with the number "1".
    10) Tap on "Done" on the top right.
    11) Exit out of iFile and reboot the device.
    Last edited by jennifur; 12-28-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: mobilephone.app issues
    Smokin House and Daniel120201 like this.

Device
    iPod Touch 4G
    Thanks for the tips but removing MobilePhone.app also removes iMessage. It still opens but when you send a message it doesn't work, it got fixed after I restored it.

Device
    iPod Touch 5th Gen
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel120201 View Post
    Thanks for the tips but removing MobilePhone.app also removes iMessage. It still opens but when you send a message it doesn't work, it got fixed after I restored it.
    That's weird, I never had issue with removing it.

Device
    iPod Touch 4G
    I use iOS 6.1.5 jailbroken, dunno why, I downloaded an iOS 6.1 mobilephone.app from the iPad 2 because I deleted mine. Ty for adding the warning

Daniel

OT: Is this good and will it work with a 4th gen iTouch? Sandberg 2200mAh PowerBar Blue Can't post link srry
    Last edited by Daniel120201; 12-28-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Device
    iPod Touch 5th Gen
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel120201 View Post
    I use iOS 6.1.5 jailbroken, dunno why, I downloaded an iOS 6.1 mobilephone.app from the iPad 2 because I deleted mine. Ty for adding the warning

Daniel

OT: Is this good and will it work with a 4th gen iTouch? Sandberg 2200mAh PowerBar Blue Can't post link srry
    Seems ok by the reviews. It'll work and will charge your device fully about 2.5 times before needing to be recharged itself.

Here is a video about speeding up iPhone via removing junk files, may be helpful for you.

youtube.com/watch?v=4ILHNHJvJkA

Tenorshare iPhone care pro is the best tool to clear up junk files and private data from iPhone/iPad/iPod touch to speed up iOS device.
    Tenorshare Software Official Website - iOS Data Recovery, Data Rescue, PDF and Video Tools

+ Reply to Thread