welcome to the new iphone-develoeprs community. Register below to get started.

XDA Users Click Here New Users Click Here
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4th gen stuck in DFU

Question 4th gen stuck in DFU

I have a 4th gen that I recently fixed. I replaced the volume flex cable, battery & installed a new screen.
    When I try it turn it on it just goes to a white screen and can manage to get it to go back & forth from hard to soft DFU mode but cannot get iTunes to properly restore it/get it running again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try? thanks

Device
    iPod Touch 5th Gen
    Make sure you connected the cables tightly, and the clasps securely holding the cables, and that the cables are not damaged. Also where did you do this? I'm hoping it isn't ESD damage to the device which can happen if you are not properly grounded.

I tried a few different cables & different USB ports. When I got the iPod it was working... it had a cracked screen & the battery was no longer holding a charge(had to leave it plugged to use it).

Now that its "fixed", I can get the screen to come on(although its white) & iTunes recognizes that its plugged in. I have a few spare screens lying around & tried out each of them also(does the same thing, so I know its not the screen).

White Screen of Death

Very recently, my 12 year old step daughter had a WSOD on her jailbroken iPhone 3gs running IOS 5.1.1. In her case, it happened after her battery died from normal use and she left it drained for about 2 weeks. The device did not take a charge from her PC via USB cable after this. It also wouldn't charge from her wall charger. To get it to take we charged it in my car charger until it booted up automatically into a WSOD.

To fix it, we forced a reboot and immediately put it into DFU mode. We then tried to do a restore through iTunes several times, which would have updated her device to IOS 6.1.3. This failed on several tries. As a last resort, we did a restore using redsn0w to IOS 5.1.1 - and that worked. You might want to try it. However, you might need to repeat the process to get it to take, because about 3 days later her device entered into WSOD state again. We had to restore once again and since then it held.

Good luck to you!

+ Reply to Thread