welcome to the new iphone-develoeprs community. Register below to get started.

XDA Users Click Here New Users Click Here
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 4S: 1601 error Restoring Firmware in iTunes

iPhone 4S: 1601 error Restoring Firmware in iTunes

Trying to install firmware on my mom's iPhone 4S gsm, to recover it because she forgot the passcode. I'm not sure what firmware is on there, but I presume 5.0.1. I can go so far as getting iTunes to download the iOS 6 firmware and go through the process of extracting and restoring. However, at the very end of the process, it keeps giving me "error 1601". These are some of the many things I've already tried to resolve it:

* trying to update the firmware to iOS 6 via Apple's servers, as well as trying to get iTunes to install v5.1.1 manually
    * trying 3 different USB cables and 3 different computers
    * trying different USB ports, including directly into the port, with no other USB devices attached to the computer (except mouse)
    * downloaded the very latest version of iTunes, as of today
    * tried completely uninstalling iTunes, including all of its associated services and registry entries
    * completely removed firewall and anti virus from memory during the many attempts to connect
    * tried checking my HOSTS file to make sure the Apple servers weren't listed
    * tried restoring in iTunes while TinyUmbrella's TSS server was active in the background, and also while Snowbreeze's iReb was active in the background

1) Is it possible or not to restore firmware to a PASSCODED iPhone?

2) Is there an alternative program that can burn firmware on to the iPhone 4S, without the use of iTunes, that will actually work? I've tried redSnow, SnowBreeze, absinthe, tinyUmbrella, forecast, blackrain.... I can't get ANY of these programs to work properly. I read "iDeviceRestore" can maybe burn firmware, but I can't find a windows version anywhere!

Device
    iphone 4/4s
    You've tried everything there is on a windows computer the next step is either using an old computer or a Mac. If neither are available options head over to apple and have them do the restore for you. It is possible to do a restore to a passcoded iPhone it's that some security programs don't let iTunes do it properly, also try putting the phone into restore mode manually or dfu mode that may fix the issue.
    Get your phone unlocked for the right price with no hassles.
    http://www.theunlocklab.com

Device
    iPhone 4
    You need to put it in DFU mode and then do a restore to 6.0 through iTunes

(but you will lose all data that's not backed up, unfortunately)

Don't have access to a Mac, or an Apple store (I'm hundreds of miles away from one). Are you certain it is possible to restore an iPhone's firmware with Apple servers if it is locked by a passcode? I ask, because in some of my attempts, I kept receiving an error similar to this:

"Itunes could not restore the iPhone (NAME) because it is locked by a passcode"

It can't be "security programs" because as I've mentioned, I shut down my antivirus and firewall; they're the only security programs I have. And I can connect to Apple servers no problem and it retrieves the firmware and saves it to my computer. It's just at the end of the process, it won't burn it to the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinneyr View Post
    You've tried everything there is on a windows computer the next step is either using an old computer or a Mac. If neither are available options head over to apple and have them do the restore for you. It is possible to do a restore to a passcoded iPhone it's that some security programs don't let iTunes do it properly, also try putting the phone into restore mode manually or dfu mode that may fix the issue.

Does iTunes require the SIM be installed to complete the restore process?

No, it does not required that.

Quote Originally Posted by 123456& View Post
    No, it does not required that.
    Thanks. So for the purposes of reinstalling the firmware, iTunes doesn't require a SIM card be installed, nor is it hampered by a passcode lock. That leaves me quite stumped as to why it is giving me 1601/1604 errors all the time when trying to install iOS 6 (and error 1394 when I try to restore to iOS 5.1.1).

Device
    iPhone 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanoid View Post
    Thanks. So for the purposes of reinstalling the firmware, iTunes doesn't require a SIM card be installed, nor is it hampered by a passcode lock. That leaves me quite stumped as to why it is giving me 1601/1604 errors all the time when trying to install iOS 6 (and error 1394 when I try to restore to iOS 5.1.1).
    Have you tried putting the phone in DFU mode and then restoring?

Quote Originally Posted by tehh4ck3r View Post
    Have you tried putting the phone in DFU mode and then restoring?
    That was the first thing I listed ("*trying to update the firmware to iOS 6 via Apple's servers). I've been putting it in DFU and restore mode and trying to get this thing to restore itself for 5 months. DFU mainly works only in iTunes for some reason. ie. Redsnow won't recognize the DFU, keeps telling me I don't understand how to put it in DFU! Other underground prgorams are iffy. I've not been able to get them to do much; ie. burn firmware. But Apple has no problem downloading iOS6, just with the final phase of the firmware upgrading process.
    Last edited by Cyanoid; 10-18-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Device
    iPhone 4
    You might have a bad USB connection in the phone itself

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast