welcome to the new iphone-develoeprs community. Register below to get started.

XDA Users Click Here New Users Click Here
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to make an iPhone...untraceable.

Need to make an iPhone...untraceable.

Today i was offered an iPhone 4 from a guy at school. I think its just an iPhone 4, not the 4s. Anyways when I looked at it, it was at the out of the box start up screen, he didn't have a box or anything. I know its real, but I'm not sure about previous owners as the kid is kinda sketchy. But its a deal I can't resist. I have no idea if it was stolen or not, and I just want to make sure I don't get in trouble for having it if I decide to buy it tommorow. Its for Verizon. Assumingly, he probably restored it completely, being that it is on the set up screen. Is there any extra steps to take (some sort of professional complete wipe) or anything else to make sure this can't be tracked? Really want to become an iPhone user but don't want any trouble...any help? Thanks guys.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xCaptivateRx; 03-05-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Device
    iPhone 4, AppleTV 2, new iPad
    You could turn off the iCloud which would stop wheresmyiphone or just restore the iPhone in dfu or even just go to settings and reset the iPhone, but if it's stolen chances are it'll be black listed so you want be able to use it as a phone just an iPod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Make sure to follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or add us to your circles on Google+ to be the first to hear about breaking iPhone news, tips, hacks, and more!

Quote Originally Posted by J03Y4G View Post
    You could turn off the iCloud which would stop wheresmyiphone or just restore the iPhone in dfu or even just go to settings and reset the iPhone, but if it's stolen chances are it'll be black listed so you want be able to use it as a phone just an iPod

What if I tried to activate it...?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Device
    Won't work if the iPhone was reported stolen, Just be cautious you might end up with an iPod.
    Make sure to follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or add us to your circles on Google+ to be the first to hear about breaking iPhone news, tips, hacks, and more!

Quote Originally Posted by J03Y4G View Post
    Won't work if the iPhone was reported stolen, Just be cautious you might end up with an iPod.
    What if I jail broke it?

Device
    That won't do anything for you. You could try to unlock it to a different carrier or sell it to someone in another country.

Jailbreaking is to install 3rd party software.

But could I get in any trouble if I tried to activate it?

Device
    No they'll let you know if it was reported stolen or if it can be activated.

But they won't assume I stole it, I won't have to go through police and stuff right?

Device
    Can't say it's the risk you take for a hot or not iPhone, my friend bought a black berry pearl from eBay one time and when he try'd to activate it all they said was, it's been reported stolen and blacklisted so they can't activate it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast