welcome to the new iphone-develoeprs community. Register below to get started.

XDA Users Click Here New Users Click Here
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to know an iPhone 4S for sale is truly Factory Unlocked?

How to know an iPhone 4S for sale is truly Factory Unlocked?

So, I am meant to meet a guy from Craigslist this weekend, as he is selling his "Factory Unlocked" iPhone 4s.

My question is this:
    Is there a way of verifying that the iPhone is indeed Factory Unlocked?

- I am going to insert my T-Mobile SIM Card prior to making the purchase.
    - I am also going to verify that the version is iOS 5.1

That being said, I am still not familiar enough in this field, so know for sure that the iPhone isn't "hacked" in some way, and that I am going to end up with locked phone at a later time.

Of course, I am also concern about buying a stolen phone.

I will greatly appreciate your help!

Device
    iPhone 5 32GB
    You can do a restore and if it remains unlocked it's a factory unlock
    Let me know I helped by hitting the like button!

Ask me about my private themes repo!

Follow me and iPD on Twitter!

If you have a question for me, please use the visitor messages on my profile or Twitter instead of sending PMs, thank you(:

Device
    iPhone 4, AppleTV 2, new iPad
    If its on 5.1 make sure it's not jail broken some one might install spire and say its a 4s
    Make sure to follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or add us to your circles on Google+ to be the first to hear about breaking iPhone news, tips, hacks, and more!

I dont think there has been a software unlock out for iPhone 4s yet, so insert your sim and if it works, it should be factory unlocked. Of course, if it has the Gevey Sim tray or any other sorts of hardware unlock sim trays, it is not factory unlocked. Just make sure that it's a 4s that you are buying and not a iPhone 4 with a Spire Proxy for Siri. You can check this by going into settings and look for the app Spire. If it is installed, then chances are it's a iPhone 4 trying to imitate a iPhone 4s. Best way to make sure its a iPhone 4s is to check the serial number under apple's repair service. Goto google and type in Apple self service and it'll take you to a page where you put in the Serial number and it'll tell you if it's still under coverage, it'll also tell you what phone it is. Hope this helps and good luck with the buy

Quote Originally Posted by Lusterboi View Post
    I dont think there has been a software unlock out for iPhone 4s yet, so insert your sim and if it works, it should be factory unlocked. Of course, if it has the Gevey Sim tray or any other sorts of hardware unlock sim trays, it is not factory unlocked. Just make sure that it's a 4s that you are buying and not a iPhone 4 with a Spire Proxy for Siri. You can check this by going into settings and look for the app Spire. If it is installed, then chances are it's a iPhone 4 trying to imitate a iPhone 4s. Best way to make sure its a iPhone 4s is to check the serial number under apple's repair service. Goto google and type in Apple self service and it'll take you to a page where you put in the Serial number and it'll tell you if it's still under coverage, it'll also tell you what phone it is. Hope this helps and good luck with the buy

Thank you all for the answers! I know feel more comfortable meeting with the seller. THANKS

Device
    iPhone 4, AppleTV 2, new iPad
    It's very easy to hide icons on the spring board but when it comes to hiding the options in the settings it gets difficult that's why it's always good to snoop around the settings.
    Make sure to follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or add us to your circles on Google+ to be the first to hear about breaking iPhone news, tips, hacks, and more!

You can tell from the model number if it's "Factory Unlocked".

USA Factory Unlocked:
    MD234LL/A 16GB Black
    MD237LL/A 16GB White
    MD241LL/A 32GB Black
    MD244LL/A 32GB White
    MD2257LL/A 64GB Black
    MD260LL/A 64GB White

Device
    iPhone 5 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonium View Post
    You can tell from the model number if it's "Factory Unlocked".

USA Factory Unlocked:
    MD234LL/A 16GB Black
    MD237LL/A 16GB White
    MD241LL/A 32GB Black
    MD244LL/A 32GB White
    MD2257LL/A 64GB Black
    MD260LL/A 64GB White
    Not necessarily. The model number method isn't reliable.
    Let me know I helped by hitting the like button!

Ask me about my private themes repo!

Follow me and iPD on Twitter!

If you have a question for me, please use the visitor messages on my profile or Twitter instead of sending PMs, thank you(:

+ Reply to Thread