welcome to the new iphone-develoeprs community. Register below to get started.

XDA Users Click Here New Users Click Here
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can we fool at&t?

Lightbulb Can we fool at&t?

We now know that att offers to unlock your iphone if
    A) the iphone has finished its 2-year contract
    B) you are still an att paying customer, and
    C) you are on the highest iOS (5.1) and baseband (4.12)

Now, i would like to use my iphone as a regular talk&text phone without paying for expensive data packages (face it: theres wifi EVERYWHERE)...

So Ive heard that its possible to get a new sim (on a family plan, tell them you just want talk&text for $10 a month), cut the sim down to micro sim size and stick it into your unlocked iphone (making sure 3g/data is turned off in Settings) and you wont have to get a data package.

Can anyone confirm this?

Device
    iPhone 4, AppleTV 2, new iPad
    They'll unlock it even if you don't have a account with them as long as the iPhone isn't still on a contract, I've unlocked 2 iPhones through AT&T one on contract and one off.
    Make sure to follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or add us to your circles on Google+ to be the first to hear about breaking iPhone news, tips, hacks, and more!

how do you unlock the one on contract?

Device
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusterboi View Post
    how do you unlock the one on contract?
    Call with a different phone number and tell them you bought an iPhone from a friend and want to unlock it for a different carrier, they'll probably ask if it's on contract say no.

If they ask for proof of purchase say you might have it but need to find it, and they enter the request don't worry about the proof of purchase wait about 2 weeks and restore the iPhone should get unlock message.
    Make sure to follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or add us to your circles on Google+ to be the first to hear about breaking iPhone news, tips, hacks, and more!

I can confirm this. Beware however, AT&T will quickly shovel in data charges on your bill if they detect any sort of data use. But I've been doing this with my dad for 2 years now. Just make sure your data options are turned off. And DO NOT tell them it's an iPhone.
    Last edited by Wilsonium; 05-01-2012 at 02:17 PM.

How did you get the iphone on contract unlocked? I thought they only unlock out of contract...

Device
    Quote Originally Posted by amahes1030 View Post
    How did you get the iphone on contract unlocked? I thought they only unlock out of contract...
    They asked if it was purchased as a gophone I said yes then they asked for a fax of the receipt I never sent it but they still unlocked it

+ Reply to Thread